Mentor Safety Village

Where Children Learn Safety For Life ™


The Mentor Fire Museum (Old Station #1) is situated in the heart of the original Mentor Village on Jackson Street Just North of Mentor Ave. (Route 20).  Built in 1942, it originally housed two engines and a jeep and was manned by volunteers under limited hours. By the 1970's, a rescue squad was added with some firefighters trained as EMTs. Although a little tight on sleeping areas, the station went to 24 hour coverage with 3-5 part-time firefighters in the early 80's. In 1984 an addition was put on the back of the station, adding a locker room, shower, and dorm. The station was utilized until 1990, when it was replaced by a new station on Heisley Road due to expanded growth to the city on the east border.

The building was used for fire department storage with the hopes of someday opening a museum. Unfortunately, time and abandonment put the building into a state of disrepair. A Community Block Grant repaired the roof leaks, and replaced most of the windows. Volunteers repaired doors and drywall, while city employees completed some electrical work. Electric garage doors were removed, as well as ceiling fans and other fixtures in an effort to make it look more historic.

In 2007 the city granted a lease to the Mentor Firefighters Historical Association for the operation of a fire museum. Displays continue to be constructed using antique fire equipment.  The 1942 Ford's body was restored several years ago, mechanical work is being completed to get this classic engine running again. A 1986 Pierce Arrow Engine donated by the City of Mentor is currently being renovated into a interactive safety engine, and will be shown at parades, community events, and block parties.